The issue this matter presented for the Louisiana Supreme Court's review centered on the “amount in dispute” which determined subject matter jurisdiction of a city court with a jurisdictional limit of $30,000. After filing suit, plaintiff settled with the tortfeasor and the tortfeasor’s liability insurer for $25,000, plaintiff’s claim against her uninsured motorist insurer was the only claim left. The issue to be determined was whether following the dismissal of the settling defendants, the city court had jurisdiction over plaintiff’s claim against her uninsured motorist insurer to the full extent of that court’s $30,000 jurisdictional limit. Put another way, the issue in this case was whether the settlement amount counted toward the city court’s jurisdictional limit. The Court held that it did not: because the $25,000 settlement amount no longer constituted part of the “amount in dispute,” the city court’s jurisdiction over the uninsured motorist claim was to the full extent of its $30,000 jurisdictional limit. Therefore, the appellate court’s decision was reversed, and the case was remanded to the court of appeal for further consideration.
Swayze v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co. 2014-C-1899 - City Court Jurisdiction
Julius P. Hebert Jr. and Brian J. Marceaux - Friday, July 10, 2015
- The Jones Act and Indemnity Under an MSA and LOIA
- The Terrebonne Parish Courthouse History
- Swayze v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co. 2014-C-1899 - City Court Jurisdiction
- Liability for Hearing Loss as a Result of Noise - Louisiana Supreme Court Addresses the Issue
- Immunity and/or Limitation of Liability/Rights
- Commercial/Corporate/Limited Liability Company/Contracts/Litigation/Employer/ Employee/Insurance/Construction Leases/Agreements/Rights.
- Divorces/Family Law/Separation/Child Support/Child Custody/Community Property/Domestic Abuse/Rights
- Personal Injury/Automobile/Motor Vehicle/Maritime Vessel/Drilling Rig/Boats/Motorcycle/18 Wheeler – Wrecker and/or Accidents/Rights/Workers Compensation
- Successions/Wills/Powers of Attorney/Living Wills/Elder Law/Rights
The Jones Act Successions Personal Injury Child Support Hearing Loss Limitation of Liability Wills Business Liability Child Custody Auto Insurance Family Law Divorce Immunity General Maritime Corporate